This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
LinkFreeze (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : LinkFreeze
Subject Topic: Strange IE7 Issue (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
camike

Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:49am  

I'm having the strangest issue that I think is caused by LinkFreeze but not 100% sure.  I've had LinkFreeze installed on my server for close to a year or so with no issues.  However, now we're updating our program and run into this issue.  Firefox and IE 6 view our sites fine with no issues.  IE 7 works fine for a few clicks throughout our site and then hangs while trying to download the page.  I don't get any error, I just see a '(1 item remaining)' note at the bottom left of the browser.  There are 2 main instances that seemed to hang the site.  First, on a public url, IE7 would hang while trying to download a header image.  It would download the flash file fine and a logo file fine, but the header would hang the browser.  Also, when I logged in to a back end CMS area (custom programmed), it would hang after a few clicks through the admin area.  Our new site uses mainly .png image files so I thought that might be the issue, however after changing everything to .gifs it still hung up IE7.  I thought it might be LinkFreeze, but I disabled it from this site and it still hung IE7.  I took off every javascript, flash, etc from the site but it always hung IE7.

I finally made a change that seemed to work.  On the public site that had the issue, I had the path to the images be a root relative URL to comply with LinkFreeze rules.  Once I changed the path of the image that had the issue to an absolute URL, it seemed to work.  It seems strange because the logo file is a root relative path, but it is working fine.  Also, I noticed that if I log into the admin area using a form where the action is set to action="/admin/login.asp" it would login but hang the browser after a while.  I changed the login script to action=http://www.mydomain.com/admin/login.asp it would never hang.

This seems to be something that has to do with IE7 and LinkFreeze?  I'd like to know what's happening so I know when I can do a root relative path and when I have to do the URL.  It seems strange that it works fine in IE6 and Firefox, and works ok in IE7 for a while, but then hangs.  Is there a memory leak when IE7 views a site from a server running LinkFreeze?  It's not a pressing issue now that I've figured out a solution, but some insight into what's happening would be helpful.

Other than that, LinkFreeze has been a great function to our server and has run great.  Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 4:45am  

1. Please show your LinkFreeze configuration and what exact build of LinkFreeze you are using.
2. Please show link to the problematic web site and tell how to reproduce error with this link. Maybe HTTP damps will help us to find the reason.
3. For form it is rather strange because LinkFreeze does not touch form action attributes.

camike

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:37am  

Thanks for the reply.  After some more testing, it appears those changes I made didn't fix the issue.  IE7 still hangs randomly while trying to download my site.  The issue can be viewed by going to http://www.shundahai.net in IE7.  At first, everything should work fine for a few clicks around.  Then, after 5-15 clicks throughout the site, it will hang on one page and say (1 item remaining) and the header image that should appear to the right of the logo won't appear.  You'll still be able to click to another page, but once it can't donwload that image it will never download the image.  Also, if you try to refresh, it will totally hang and won't display anything.  Also, you can immediately open up IE6 or Firefox and go to the site, so it's not a connection issue or server issue.  And those browsers never have problems.

I think it's a IE7 issue, but the strange thing is I have other sites that IE7 pulls up fine.  The only difference I can see is the settings in IIS 6.0.  For our other sites that work, we point the DNS to 1 specific IP Address, but then in IIS we set up different sites using the Host Header function.  On this new site, we don't provide specific host headers, we just have iis set to accept all domains from the ip address and our program will figure out what site to display.  However, I've also changed that to add host headers but that still didn't work.  The reason I think it might have something to do with IIS or DNS is that out of the 5 or 6 domains we have pointing to this new program, 1 always works perfectly with no issues.  The rest hang IE7.

I've tried everything I can think of.  Hopefully with the info I gave you can reproduce the issue and point me in the right direction, even if it is not an issue with LinkFreeze?  From searching around, it seems as though a number of people have this type of issue, but all I can find is people saying 'disable add-ons' in IE7.  I've tried that and it doesn't help.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mhaegele

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:11am  

Hello,
we do have here the same problem at www.medinfo.de.

And we can detail it: It's no problem with IE7 and Vista, but with IE7 and Windows XP.

Perhaps it's also a problem with german "umlaute"?
Search for "Impfschema" --> Medinfosuche, then click on "Pravention", then you get a HTTP-500-Servererror. If you relaod it, it will move on...

Back to Top Visit mhaegele's Homepage

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 5:03am  

When you get 500 server error, can you show this record in IIS log to see what URL was really requested? And show your LinkFreeze configuration file.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version