This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
LinkFreeze (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : LinkFreeze
Subject Topic: pre sales basic question (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
speedhut

Posted: 10 November 2007 at 11:59am  

Hi everyone,

We need to change our dynamic links to show more static links for SEO.    I came accross LinkFreeze and think it will fit the bill.

Couple really basic question i have-

1. we are using maximum.asp as a shared host. Do they install the software on their server?   

2. How do i access the linkshare software once installed on my shared host?

3.   Is there any special characters that the LinkFreeze will have problems with in a dynamic URL. i.e. a "/" in one of the param values within the dynamic link?

Also dont know which version we need. We have multiple domains all within the same _root directory and using an asp script to redirect to differant sub directories of differant domains.   Do i need just a single or sever licence?

Thanks!
Back to Top Visit speedhut's Homepage

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:28am  

1. You better ask it form maximum.asp support.
2. In fact LinkFreeze was designed to wor on dedicated servers. So you will need to provide hosting administrator with text configuration file htat they will put on a server.
3. There are some concerns about "/" character which you may read in LinkFreeze documentation.

Also please consider using ISAPI_Rewrite instead. It will require some modification of your web site, but result may be much more effective with keywork rich URLs. Also ISAPI_Rewrite support shared environment more natively.

speedhut

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 5:38pm  

I need a solution that is as easy as possible to impliment. somewhere on your site you mention that it Linkfreeze can be used in a shared enviroment.     Im not interested in creating a bunch of key words for my links, just make them static.

http://www.speedhut.com/products.asp?auto_number=617&catagory=gauge

would become
http://www.speedhut.com/products-autonumber-671-catagory-gauge.htm or something like this.

Will this software do this for me on a shared host?

What would i do download the software to my local machine and then create the file to upload to my shared host.    Have them install the software on their server?

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2007 at 7:28am  

Well, then you will need to go through the manual installaiton process of LinkFreeze on the shared server. If server administrator install LinkFreeze.dll file in some folder where you can write, then you will be able to edit LinkFreeze.ini file by yourself.
Then you may install LinkFreeze locally, create apropriate ini file locally and test it, after that just upload this file near LinkFreeze.dll.
Manuyal installation instructions are avaialble in documentation.

speedhut

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 10:04am  

Host will let me install linkfreeze but not write to the folder where it is installed. I installed it on my local machine but do not see the LinkFreeze.ini.   Instead i see a LinkFreeze1.ini file.   Any reason why it would by default be named this?

Also, Will this product continue to be supported on IIS 7+ ?   I dont want to purchase something and have it get obsoleted and force me to change the linking structure on my site.

Thanks!

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:46am  

Currently there is no support for IIS7 but this support is planned in future.
File LinkFreeze1.ini means you have used automatic install and LinkFreeze creates instance of ini file for every web site. With manual installation you create this file manually so the naming is up to you.
If hosting does not allow you to write to this folder, then benefits of manual installation are weak, so I suggest them to install automatically and then you will send them text configuation they will put for your web site. You will not be able to change configuration without administrator being involved.

speedhut

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 8:42am  

I bought one licence $49 yesterday and my host will install it for me.   

We have 3 domain names on the same windows node.
one root directory with the domains in separate sub folders with simple redirect script on the root default page redirecting to each domain.   

Do i need to purchase separate licence for each domain?

We only have a total of 3 domains.   

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 8:51am  

No, these licenses are for IIS web site node, so you can associate multiple domains with this node.
In fact you don't need to install LinkFreeze on these "redirect" domains.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version