This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
LinkFreeze (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : LinkFreeze
Subject Topic: htm to html (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
foghead

Posted: 30 October 2006 at 2:37am  

We've just started using LinkFreeze to rewrite .asp extensions to .htm   Works very well so far, thank you.

We're also trying to merge this site in with an existing site which has all .html file extensions and it seems that LinkFreeze can't make .html from .asp.

So is it then possible using ISAPI_Rewrite, to convert those .htm URLs made by LinkFreeze into .html, and in the same set of rules 301 redirect www.domain.com to domain.com?

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2006 at 4:29am  

You will only get a mess of files on your site. The second site uses static .html files, right? Then leave it as is and you will get .htm file that will actually run as .asp (with LinkFreeze) and .html files that will run as before.

foghead

Posted: 03 November 2006 at 12:51am  

Thanks Yaroslav, I understand this has the potential to turn into a big mess.  

The thing with the .html pages is that they are going to be scrapped, but they all have PageRank and are indexed, so what we would like to do is the correct thing by returning a 301 and redirecting to some page or pages in the new site.

Is there any way then to have ISAPI_Rewrite running alongside LinkFreeze, and then take any requests for pages with an html extension and respond with a 301?

Many thanks.

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 04 November 2006 at 3:39am  

But why you want to 301 move existing .html pages since you are telling me the pages already have a PageRank? Just leave these pages as is on your site and they will coexist with .htm (freezed .asp) pages on your site and you don't need to move or redirect anything.

foghead

Posted: 05 November 2006 at 1:04am  

Sorry, I must not be explaining clearly.  The .html pages are all old design, old content, old products - but we don't want to delete them now as they are indexed and have PR and traffic. 

So we would like to redirect humans and spiders to the .htm (freezed .asp) pages with a 301, and hopefully that will also allow the PageRank to transfer to the new pages.  In 6-12 months all the html pages will be deleted when the visitors stop coming.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that LinkFreeze and ISAPI_Rewrite can work together on the same site, so maybe it is possible to do something like this.

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 05 November 2006 at 5:08am  

Now I understand. Yes, you can use ISAPI_Rewrite to redirect it. Here is a rule example:

RewriteRule ([^?]+)\.html $1.htm [I,L]

foghead

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 4:36am  

Thank you so much Yaroslav, we probably do just have a mess of files on the site but it is working exactly as I had hoped.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version