This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Common Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : Common Questions
Subject Topic: Comparing LinkFreeze and ISAPI_Rewrite (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
tunga

Posted: 09 August 2006 at 11:07am  

Can someone explain what is the difference in terms of the capabilities and performance of the two products are?

I know that LinkFreeze doesn't require editing pages, and ISAPI_Rewrite does. But, what are the functionality differences? What can LinkFreeze do that ISAPI_Rewrite can't? What can ISAPI_Rewrite do that LinkFreeze can't?

If there is a table or figure somewhere that compares the two products, I would appreciate if you could tell me the URL for the page, I couldn't find it on the site.

Thanks!

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 7:28am  

There is not copmarision chart for these products. Actually they are fairly different so there cannot be direct "feature" comparision.
If you can work with ISAPI_Rewrite and need more custom solution, then use it. If you have tried LinkFreeze and satisfied with a result on your site then probably you don't need to bother with ISAPI_Rewrite.

deltatuk

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 7:14pm  

Which product would be the best fit for the following then?

Criteria:

1. Redirect all urls in the form of .cfm?param1=1&param2=2 to /param1/1/param2/2/index.htm

2. Have /param1/1/param2/2/index.htm transformed back into .cfm?param1=1&param2=2 so the parser can render the code correctly.

Back to Top Visit deltatuk's Homepage

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 1:01pm  

For this purpose try LinkFreeze first because it will be much simpler to implement. But as any automated solution it may be incompatible with some configurations, so please try it in trial on your web site and only then make a decision.

xvrd

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:30am  

Hi

I was basically wondering the same thing.
At first we thought that LinkFreeze would be perfect for what we want. Only after playing with it, we saw that our e-commerce server generates links with absolute paths. Since we also have links to other sites (with parameters) on the pages, LinkFreeze is no longer an option.
Looking at the documentation for ISAPI_Rewrite I couldn't tell if it is possible to automatically rewrite the links in outgoing files the way LinkFreeze does. In other forum posts you mentioned that you have to manually edit links if you want to use ISAPI_Rewrite. So LinkFreeze can do this, even though its 'just' a wrapper around ISAPI_Rewrite? Am i missing something?

thanks for your reply!

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 11 January 2007 at 5:14am  

LinkFreeze is not a wrapper around ISAPI_Rewrite it is a completely different product. Only LinkFreeze can change links on a pages, and it's limitation in transformation function actually comes from this ability. ISAPI_Rewrite can freely transform incoming URL, but this is impossible to do the same thing with links on pages, at least within an acceptable performance impact.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version