This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
HotlinkBlocker (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : HotlinkBlocker
Subject Topic: Is it for me? (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
SiSL

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 8:51pm  

Currenly I've been looking for a hotlink blocker and came across your product. Tested it and granted it does a very good job.

My trial ended but just about time it ended, my business requirements needed really different issue so I wanted to ask if it really gives following to me...

Imagine a website, filled with PDF's and allow Google search through these PDF's. However, we want users to be redirected to a same address such as:

pdf name: domain/pdfs/number1.pdf

If referer is not our own domain (such as user coming from google or any other side) we want them to be redirected to a script such as:

domain/pdfs/default.php?pdf=number1.pdf

Is that possible? I mean is that possible that certain file types redirected with their names?

Thank you in advance and kindly regards...

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 8:10am  

Not as easy as you asking, but I think it is possible.

The bad news is that referer based protection methods will not work with PDF files. For PDF files it is better to use REDIRECT protection method, but this method will issue a redirect instruction for every first request to PDF file and this may affect your Google ranking of these files. To avoid this problem I suggest you to use REDIRECT protection method and put the Google User-Agent into the white list.
For the script you are asking I may suggest you only to define a custom 404 error handler in IIS for the folder with your PDF files and do what you need in this 404 script. You can extract original requested file in a 404 error handler - read Microsoft's manual.
And you will need to leave "Redirect URI" field blank to generate 404 error for hotlinked files.

SiSL

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 8:53am  

Thank you for your response.

This is probably best solution for the plan.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version