This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
HotlinkBlocker (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : HotlinkBlocker
Subject Topic: 2 server problem (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 4:05am  

I have 2 servers one that host my images and one that host my sitesI have installed HotlinkBlocker on the server that holds the images and added my site to the whitelist.Here is an image from my allowed site: (deleted link). I have used Scheme LINK to protect my files so im not able to load http://64.72.125.88/fnimages/1.jpg�from the adressbar in the browser.All in all this works great for me but as im having the images on one server and the site on another im not able to use the cryptographic signature in the links or am I ?Guess my question is am I protected or not?Another question is: Can I send a custom image to the user if he hotlink me?

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 4:38am  

The reason I have 2 server is the one that host the images is Unmetret banwidth and the one for my site is Meteret.

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 4:47am  

With LINK protection you don't need to use whitelists to enable sites. You need simply copy 'Signature' value from one server into another. HotlinkBlocker need to be installed on both servers. On one server it will sign links using signature and on another it will check signatures.
As for the second quesion you can specify a URL to redirect hotlink requests to point to this image. Or leave redirect URL blank and set custom 404 handler for this filder - this even more powerful if you need custom handler.

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 5:05am  

Do I then need to buy to licenses?

As it is right now it seems to work or am I wrong here ?

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 5:06am  

From (deleted link) i pull the image with http://64.72.125.88/fnimages/1.jpgIf I have the program on both will it then translate the path ?

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 5:32am  

1. You can simply use REFERER or REDIRECT protection withoud signing links. It provide moderate level of protection for most file types.
2. It works for now becuase you have whitelisted your domain. Since links are not signed all requests will be blocked except requests with whitelisted referrers.
3. If you want to use LINK protection method you will need to install HotlinkBlocker on both servers and share same signature value. And you will need two licenses.
So you will put templates into the links to the images on http://www.site.com/ and HotlinkBlocker will sign these links. Then HotlinkBlocker installed on http://64.72.125.88/ will check these signatures and allow requests.
And again, you will need to copy signature value from on HotlinkBlocker installation and put it on another, so signatures will be valid on both servers. And also you will need to sincrinize time on both servers.

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 5:54am  

How do you define

(It provide moderate level of protection for most file types.)

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 6:35am  

It is standard protection based on HTTP referrer header. If you enable empty referrers (and I suggest you to do this with referrer protection) then some users may fake referrer headers and still access files. For example users behind some proxies, or users that press Save Aa on a links. But if you need simply restrict hotlink traffic this protection will help you.
LINK protection with more complex application procedure provides protection level that can even be used to protect secure areas of your site from anauthorised access.

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 8:54am  

I only need this to stop people hotlinking my images from other sites.

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:02am  

If you can edit links on your pages to include templates for signature, then I suggest you to use LINK protection. If you don't want to bother with link editing and don't need 100% protect your images from even experienced users and hacks then use REFERER protection and sleep well. REFERER protection should block 95% of hotlink traffic for images.

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 5:53am  

Some of our users are getting the leech image even if they are browsing the images from our site the protection type is set to REFERER is there a way to check why the do.

Also it would be great if the program could make a list of people trying to leech

Yaroslav
Admin Group

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 8:06am  

With REFERER protection it is recommended to enable empty referrers to pass through. You can do this by placing following pattern into the Referrers white list:
@^$

You can see all leeching requests in the log as 404 errors if you don't set program to redirect these requests into some location. You can specify some custom 404 error handler to do some custom stuff for leechers.

finallynaked
Groupie

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 1:24pm  

Awesome everything works fine now

Support on this just rocks !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version