This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Common Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : Common Questions
Subject Topic: Which product suits? (Topic Closed Topic Closed)
Author
Message |
ascend

Posted: 06 July 2005 at 4:00am  

I have been looking at your web site and the products look very interesting!

Basically, we build ASP/database driven e-commerce web sites which have URLs like "prodtype.asp?pid=456" (actually, with a number of parameters).

Which would be the most suitable product for us - we want to be able to translate the above into search engine friendly addresses/links. We have a number of customers who would appreciate this service. We run our own web servers based on Windows 2000 & IIS5.

Is LinkFreeze (in general terms) a cut down version of ISAPI_Rewrite? I notice that LinkFreeze is licensed per web site, whereas ISAPI_Rewrite is per server.
Back to Top Visit ascend's Homepage

Lexey
Moderator Group

Posted: 06 July 2005 at 11:52am  

Well, both product could be used for SEO.
LinkFreeze could make links static almost without any effort (it can rewrite links in a server response unlike ISAPI_Rewrite). But it is limited to a predefined set of mapping schemes.
With ISAPI_Rewrite you have much greater flexibility in choosing URI mapping. Moreover it could have many other applications except SEO. But you will have to modify your application to use new links.

ascend

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 9:40am  

Could you possibly expand on that please!

LinkFreeze - what do you mean by "predefined set of mapping schemes"?

ISAPI_Rewrite - do you mean the web site itself would have to generate links in the same form as ISAPI_Rewrite does?

Why do you not have to do any re-coding for LinkFreeze?

We will be installing demo versions soon!

Lexey
Moderator Group

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 5:35am  

>LinkFreeze - what do you mean by "predefined set of mapping schemes"?

I mean that LinkFreeze supports only a limited set of predefined transformations from dynamic URI to static. You can not invent your own URI format and use it.

>ISAPI_Rewrite - do you mean the web site itself would have to generate links in the same form as ISAPI_Rewrite does?

Yes (with the exception that ISAPI_Rewrite does not generate any links).

>Why do you not have to do any re-coding for LinkFreeze?
Because LinkFreeze analyses output stream and changes links (those it can detect as valid links) according to a chosen URI mapping scheme. So, links are being "frozen" on the fly.

ascend

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 6:12am  

Thanks, that explains it a bit better!

I installed the trial versions (of each) on our development server. LinkFreeze is amazingly easy to get working, although I wasn't 100% comfortable with any of the supplied schemes!

ISAPI_Rewrite however, has infinitely more potential Although, I must say the instructions and (particularly) the examples could do with expanding - I found it very difficult to get started.

The biggest problem (issue?) we have, is that the application code (of the web site) needs to be changed to generate links in the new format, as the main required benefit is to improve search engine placement.

One of the key things (I think!) is getting the product/category name into the URL, rather than the standard database id's.

I showed one of our major customers an example of what could be done today ... and he asked for an immediate meeting to discuss it

I may well be back with further questions

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version