This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

ISAPI_Rewrite 3.0 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : ISAPI_Rewrite 3.0
Subject Topic: Problem with Map Files
Author
Message |
dooza

Posted: 29 September 2011 at 3:01am

I am using the free version on a Windows 2003 32Bit Server. I have lots of rules for several sites, and use map files a fair bit.

For the last few days I have experienced times when one of the map files is not read so the rules are not being obeyed. The way to fix this is to open httpd.conf, insert a line, delete a line, and then same it again. The map files are then correctly loaded and work.

Its normally just 1 of the map files that fail, not all of them. Today it was a different one from normal.

I can provide httpd.conf is needed, but it is fairly large.

Is this a known problem?

I am on Version 3.1.0.84.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by dooza - 29 September 2011 at 3:09am

Guests

Online Status: Online
Posted: 29 September 2011 at 5:23am

Hello Steve,

This issue is obviously related to your permissions. Take a look at the article.
What you do with httpd.conf - you edit the global config file, which triggers all other .htaccess files and mapfiles to be re-read. This is known solution for some cases. It
makes your mapfile to be found.

Check the NTFS permissions and the USERs, that run sires' pools.

Regards
Andrew

dooza

Posted: 29 September 2011 at 5:35am

The problem seems to be intermittent, most of the time its fine, in fact its been fine for a couple of years, its only been this last few weeks that its been a problem. Before the problems I only had 3 mapfiles in use, I now have 10 or so more.

The installation folder has the correct permissions.

Do I need certain permissions set on the folder that has the mapfiles? If so which one's?

If Mapfile supported dbd I could ditch these mapfiles, as they are all generated using ASP FSO whenever the data changes, then uploaded to the webserver. Could the upload process cause the file to get locked and not read by IsapiRewrite?

Steve

Guests

Posted: 29 September 2011 at 7:03am

Well,

We can suggest that you have the mapfile created with ASP FSO named like mapfile_.txt and then after the saving and export process is finished you rename it in the way
it should be, like mapfile.txt. The idea is to renew mapfile in one move, while may have some interactions related to the step-by-step saving file.

You may also need to check if there's enough memory to process all 10 mapfiles using ISAPI_Rewrite.

Regards
Andrew

dooza

Posted: 29 September 2011 at 7:20am

I used Super Flexible File Synchronizer 4.92 to copy files from our local development server to our live server. They are created on the development server and the files are checked every 10 minutes to see if its changed, if it is it uploads them via FTP. I can't see a setting that will do exactly as you suggested, but it can upload to a holding folder before copying it over, maybe that would be better?

The local server uses the same config for IsapiRewrite and doesn't have the same problem, it also has a lot more memory. The live server has 1Gb but we are arranging to have more fitted. As its co-located its not an instant fix, but the memory is with us, just waiting to be sent to the datacentre.

Can Ape and IsapiRewrite exist on the same server?

Steve

dooza

Posted: 30 September 2011 at 2:56am

I have found a setting in the the File Synchronizer that does exactly what you suggested, and so far do not have any problems. I will continue monitoring the situation and let you know if I still have problems.

I am still interested in Ape though, as the Rewrite dbd option looks very interesting. I don't need any of the other features of Ape, would it burden my server by having the features and not using them?

Would I be able to run Ape and IsapiRewrite next to each other whilst I move each site over to Ape?

Steve

Guests

Posted: 30 September 2011 at 6:06am

Mod_dbd from Ape is a good option. But, please, consider that this product is designed for IIS7+.
We suggest that you do not run ISAPI_Rewrite and Ape at the same time, the conflict may simply occur.

Regards
Andrew

dooza

Posted: 30 September 2011 at 6:12am

Hi Andrew,
I did see that mod_dbd would work with Windows 2003. Will there be a performance issue if I run it on Windows 2003?

I will talk to my IT manager and see if we can get a Windows 2008 server to replace this one, its 4 years old, so has done its duty.

I don't suppose you have plans to extend ISAPI_Rewrite so that it too can use a db in mapfiles? I don't need any of the extra features of Ape, but can see that some of the modules are needed to get this to work with db mapfiles.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Steve

Guests

Posted: 30 September 2011 at 8:47am

Steve, we wouldn't really suggest using Ape on Windows 2003, even though it is said that mod_dbd is supported by 2003.
It would be much better if you do switch to Windows 2008, and then install Ape instead of ISAPI_Rewrite 3.

Regards
Andrew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version