Helicon Tech Community Forum

Helicon Ape (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : Helicon Ape
Subject Topic: Helicon ape installation troubles
Author
Message |
Base5designs

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 7:49am

Hi There we have been using isapi v3 rewrite successfully on our iis6 windows 2003 server for a while now.

we decided to upgrade to helicon ape for support of Option follow symlinks and multiview.

i tried installing last night as per you guide for installing on iis6.

it broke all our websites with the forbidden error message, the first test in the guide for installing on iis6 this was the correct result, but when i tried the second test it was still giving me the forbidden message. rather than redirecting me to helicons website as per the guide.

we are running plesk control panel v 8.6 also

unfotunatley i did not record any error messages as i uninstalled ape removing all preferences, hoping this would return all our sites to a working order.

In the end we had to call tech support and they did a restore of our server back-up.
we then had to re-install isapi rewrite again and that brought all our sites back to life.
our tech support guys gave us this link: http://forum.parallels.com/pda/index.php/t-75249.html
but it only mentions isapi rewrite, is this relevant to ape as well?
(our tech support guys wont help with this directly as they dont support it, so we are on our own  )

unfortunatley when panicked and i uninstalled helicon ape to see if i could get it back to how it was, i checked the box to remove all the config and settings and so do not have the log files anymore. so cant check what the error messages were, i think this is also what made us have to re-install iaspi rewrite3 to get things working again.

Are there extra steps i need to take to enable helicon ape to work under plesk 8.6 and windows 2003 iis6? by modifying security permissions or something?

do i need to uninstall isapi rewrite v3 before installing ape?

I would really like to be able to use the extra options avaliable in helicon ape (after all we did pay for it!!!) but am so scared of messing up the server again and having to do another restore from the back-up, we have clients worldwide, so the down time was noticed and gave us a lot of phonecalls from clients.
would like to avoid this if i try again.

is it possible to purchase support from helicon where they could do the installation for us and how much would it cost???

any advice extra info would be much appreciated.

Vyacheslav
Admin Group

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 9:20am

Hello.
I’m sorry for the problems you’ve come through.
First of all Helicon Ape is only partially supports IIS 6. It’s also better to try on one web-site first.
Please clarify the reason of moving towards Helicon Ape. “follow symlinks” isn’t supported there too, because the option has no sense on Windows OS.
“MultiViews” isn’t supported either, please see the documentation: http://www.helicontech.com/ape/doc/mod_core.htm#Options

If you need our direct assistance, please consider premium support: http://www.helicontech.com/order/#support

Thank you.

Base5designs

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 9:42am

thank you for getting back to me so promptly,

The reason i thought i needed to upgrade was from a post on stackoverflow that exlplains how to do url rewtiting.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5776208/mod-rewrite-for-url-variables-removing-empty-parameters-and-using-more-than-1fie

I am still in the very early stages of learning about url rewriting.

The method in question on stack overflow does not relate directly to the site i am doing, but from reading it seems like the way i would like to use for the site i am working on.

The rules in the solution (relate to mod_rewrite not isapi rewrite) Hence why i upgraded to ape thinking it would provide the extra Options +followSymlinks - Multiviews, as when i tried to put the following rules in, isapi rewrite says they are not supported, i didn't actually try without the options bit, i just assumed ape would allow me to add the full rewrite rules as below.

The rules suguessted are as follows:
Options +FollowSymlinks -MultiViews
RewriteEngine on

# 404 handler
ErrorDocument 404 /notFound.php

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^handler1/([^/]+)/?$ /?page=$1 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler1/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$ /?page=$1&cat=$2 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler1/([^/]+)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$ /?page=$1&cat=$2&subcat=$3 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler1/([^/]+)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$ /?page=$1&cat=$2&subcat=$3subsubcat=$4 [NC,QSA,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^handler2/([^/]+)/?$ /?othervar1=$1 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler2/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$ /?othervar1=$1&othervar2=$2 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler2/([^/]+)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$ /?othervar1=$1&othervar2=$2&othervar3=$3 [NC,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^handler2/([^/]+)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$ /?othervar1=$1&othervar2=$2&othervar3=$3othervar4=$4 [NC,QSA,L]
like i said i am no expert in rewriting.

i have a main index page which will pass parameters to an index page, i am assuming the ^handler/ bit relates to the folder that my index.php page is in. though i could be wrong.

my site is set-up so i have an index.php pahe in the route which will recive a url parameter called category.
for example index.php?category=white-wine

i wouldlike this rewritten as: mydomain.com/white-wine
both with and without the trailing / depending on if its typed into the address bar or not.

in addition when records are paged through it will send an additional  2 parameters.
page and maxrecords

so the url would become index.php?category-white-wine&page=3&maxrecords=200

which i would like to be mydomain.com/white-wine/page3/300

ideally without the 300 but i belive this would be impossible?

i hope you can help me with this, either with or without APE and if i do not require ape for this maybe i could have a refund to the upgrade i made?

once again thank you for your time, my apologies that i do not understand this all more fully!

Vyacheslav
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:44am

Hello.
Please consider to purchase premium support service. We’ll design required configuration for you.
To learn how to get a refund, please go to the help center, section “How can I cancel my order?”.

Thank you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version