Helicon Tech Community Forum

Helicon Ape (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : Helicon Ape
Subject Topic: upgrading to ape from isapi rewrite
Author
Message |
blac6789

Posted: 28 February 2011 at 2:58pm

im trying out the helicon ape vs the isapi rewrite 3 and having alot of problems. I have isapi rewrite 3 working with the following rules

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCompatibility2 On
RepeatLimit 200
RewriteBase

# Defend your computer from some worm attacks
RewriteRule ^.*(?:global.asa|default\.ida|root\.exe|\.\.).*$ . [NC,F,U,O]

# rewrite main dept page
RewriteRule ^/items/list(.*).htm(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/browse_dept_items.asp\?dept_page_name=Un+Assigned&jump_to_page=$1?2&$2: [NC,L,U]

# rewrite dept additional pages
RewriteRule ^/items/([^?]+)\/list(.*).htm(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/browse_dept_items.asp\?dept_page_name=$1&jump_to_page=$2?3&$3: [NC,L,U]

# rewrite item pages
RewriteRule ^/items/([^?]+)/([^/?]+)\-detail.htm(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/browse_item_details.asp\?dept_page_name=$1&item_page_name=$2?3&$3: [NC,L,U]

# rewrite item pages
RewriteRule ^/items/([^?]+)/([^/?]+)\-friend.htm(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/send_friend.asp\?dept_page_name=$1&item_page_name=$2?3&$3: [NC,L,U]

# rewrite querystrings with slashes
RewriteRule ^(.*?\.asp)(\?[^/]*)?/([^/]*)/([^/]*)(.+?)?$ $1(?2$2&:\?)$3=$4?5$5: [NC,N,U]

# rewrite system pages
RewriteRule ^/(.*?:404|aboutus|affiliate_program|affiliate_signup|affiliates_action|before_payment|botverify|browse_dept_items|browse_item_details|budget_view_cust|cancel_order|cancel_signup|cancel_signup_action|cart_action|check_out|check_out_action|contact_action|contactus|cookies|custom|error|forgot|forgot_thank_you|form_email|form_error|log_out|login_thank_you|modify_my_account|modify_my_billing|modify_my_shipping|my_account|past_order_detail|past_orders|payment|preview|privacy|print_receipt|recipiet|receipt|register|register_shipping|register_thank_you|retrieve_cart|retrieve_cart_action|returns|rma|rma_action|save_cart|save_cart_action|search|search_items|send_friend|show_big_cart|signup|signup_action|site_map|site_map_dept|store|store_closed|trackdisplay|trackform).asp(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/$1.asp\?1=1?2&$2 [NC,L,U]

# rewrite other custom pages
# RewriteRule /(.*).asp(?:\?(.*))? /store_engine/custom_page.asp\?page_name=$1?2&$2: [L,I,U]
RewriteRule ^/(?!include)(.*).asp(?:\?(.*))?$ /store_engine/custom_page.asp\?page_name=$1?2&$2: [NC,L,U]

I try to paste this into helicon ape for the entire server in the same manner and at first everythign was workign then i realized isapi rewrite was still enabled so I removed the isapi filter and then I received 404 errors on everything. I noticed that when I navigated to my test site it said that helicon ape was not enabled for that site so I enabled it, still 404 errors.

So I decide to try and set my sites back to the isapi rewrite, i readded the isapi rewrite isapi module and still im getting 404 errors?? But this should be back to my original configuration and should be working?

So multiple questions.

#1 what do i need to do to get helicon ape working?
#2 how can I get my isapi rewrite back if i want to, now that helicon ape is installed the old stuff no longer works, and im unsure why
#3 if i do get helicon ape working how can i enable the module automatically for new sites? I have hundreds of sites and I want the rules above to be common to all of them.

Thanks for any help you can provide, im very confused.

Vyacheslav
Admin Group

Posted: 28 February 2011 at 4:32pm

Hello.
ISAPI_Rewrite and Helicon Ape use same configuration file name—.htaccess. Having both on the system you should either distinguish websites using one software or another, or set AccessFileName directive supported by both. AccessFileName allows to specify different configuration file name.
However there is no sense to use both tools since they do the same job. Helicon Ape might be well enough.

There could be several reasons for Helicon Ape not to work. First of all make sure application pool is run in Integrated pipeline. That’s required for Helicon Ape. If for some reason you must use Classic pipeline,—disable and enable Helicon Ape again on that website using Helicon Ape Manager. The manager will figure out how to setup Ape under Classic pool.
Note, in Classic pipeline Helicon Ape works slowly and several modules don’t work at all. We encourage people to always use Integrated pipeline.

The other reason is your rules. They look as adopted from old ISAPI_Rewrite 2 and Helicon Ape may not support certain statements.

First of all make sure Helicon Ape works. Simple rule would go:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule .? - [G]

If you see 410 “Gone” response on every request—Ape works (ISAPI_Rewrite also accepts the code, so disable it first). In successful case check with documentation of mod_rewrite if the rules syntax is correct: http://www.helicontech.com/ape/doc/mod_rewrite.htm

Our company offers commercial services which include software setup, rules design and adaptation. Please check out terms and conditions here: http://www.helicontech.com/order/#support

Thank you.

blac6789

Posted: 28 February 2011 at 5:23pm

Thanks for the reply. It appears helicon ape wasnt working because i actually dont run any managed code, integrated or classic pipeline as we use classic asp. But then it looks like ill have to rewrite my rules with helicon ape as you said and I have no idea how to do that so I think ill stick with the isapi rewrite for now.

I dont want to keep them both running at the same time. I was just trying to go back to what I had working with isapi rewrite or else get helicon ape working. Now im in this crazy limbo state. Seems whatever helicon ape did I cant undo with isapi rewrite as now the site no longer works. Any direction you can give me as to what I should maybe check on the isapi rewrite that might make it not work now? Ive uninstalled helicon ape and reput in my httpconf file and my rewrites are no longer working.

blac6789

Posted: 28 February 2011 at 5:43pm

Nevermind I did find out that the isapi filter was missing from the individual sites although I did add it to the main server area. So the old isapi rewrite is working now.

In regards to helicon ape vs isapi rewrite 3. What is the performance difference? And if Im not already running managed code on the app pool does this make a difference? Im only using the rewrite functionality currently. My customers would like to be able to have their own mod rewrite files but I dont want to support it if the performance is going to go down because I would have to enable managed code etc for the application pool. Also what about memory usage on the 2??

Vyacheslav
Admin Group

Posted: 01 March 2011 at 5:02am

Hello.
Performance and memory usage depend on complexity of configuration code. You can freely request our support whenever you feel there is performance issue.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version