This forum has been moved here:
Helicon Tech Community Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  HelpHelp   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Common Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Helicon Tech : Common Questions
Subject Topic: Rewrite v2 or v3 with reverse proxy auth?
Author
Message |
ixquisite

Posted: 13 August 2010 at 8:50pm

Hello everyone,

This is a very general question and spans Rewrite 2 and Rewrite 3, hence the question here in the common questions area:

I am trying to get basic authentication to work for reverse proxy from IIS6 to Apache2 and have a very difficult time with Rewrite 3; it simply won't work.

I have two separate machines for IIS6 (Windows 2003 server) and Apache2 (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS). If I open Internet Explorer on the Windows 2003 machine and type the URL of the Apache machine directly in IE's address bar, then I can access the web site and use the login for the fast cgi web app just fine. However, when I use the external address of the IIS6 machine instead (routing all traffic through reverse proxy), then I can navigate the web site, I can open unrestricted areas of the protected fast cgi web app, but I cannot use the login for authentication.

The interesting part is that the login windows of IE look completely different when I use the Apache's URL directly on the IIS machine vs if I use the external address.

The following illustration should give a good idea of what's going on:

Reverse proxy authentication issues IIS6 Apache2

If anybody has any inside in authentication using reverse proxy from ISS6 to Apache2 and whether Rewrite v2 or v3 should work for that, please let me know.

Many thanks!
Wolfgang

Anton
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 4:07am

Please show what rules are you trying to use.
Consider putting CR flag for v3 (see details here)

Oxalagu

Posted: 16 February 2011 at 9:09am

Hello Helicon,

can you describe in an example how such a reverse proxy with back end auth is set up? Maybe as a tutorial article or so?

I actually want to do widely the same as described in the scenario above. In addition I want the following:

I want to pass the user ID for the backend auth with the original URL.

e.g. http://sub.mydomain.com?user=DonkeyKong

IISrewrite should then look up the Windows Active Directory user name from a (custom IISrewrite) lookup table and reverse proxy to the backend URL using Kerberos (NTLM) authentication.

How to do this?

Thank you and kind regards

Back to Top Visit Oxalagu's Homepage

Guests

Online Status: Online
Posted: 17 February 2011 at 9:07am

I think the right way to start is http://www.isapirewrite.com/docs/#proxyAuth

Regards
Andrew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Printable version Printable version